Wednesday, November 4, 2009

30 Things About My Invisible Illness You May Not Know...



1. The illness I live with is: Rheumatoid Arthritis
2. I was diagnosed with it in the year:1999
3. But I had symptoms since:1997
4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: having to slow down and not being able to plan ahead.
5. Most people assume: That arthritis is an old persons disease.
6. The hardest part about mornings are: the stiffness and pain and not knowing how long it will stick around for on that particular day or to what degree. Also putting my socks on :)
7. My favorite medical TV show is:
Grey's Anatomy
8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: jar opened
9. The hardest part about nights are: the sleeplessness
10. Each day I take 10-15 pills & vitamins.
11. Regarding alternative treatments I: am interested but dubious
12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: invisible because I can choose who to tell and who not to tell.
13. Regarding working and career: I am currently studying and would like to be working part time but am unable to do so at the moment. I finding study quite demanding just getting to and from Uni and trying to concentrate when the fatigue sets in and as I have flare ups every few days I am just not reliable enough.
14. People would be surprised to know: How much a chronic illness really affects every aspect of your life.
15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: the knowledge that I will have to have joint replacement at some point in my life.
16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: be positive
17. The commercials about my illness: are fairly non-existent
18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: water skiing and working. (never thought I'd say that :p)
19. It was really hard to have to give up: my independence
20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: sleeping until midday :)
21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: stay on my feet all day just because I can. Go rock climbing, play with my nephew, build something....the list is endless-mostly things to do with the strength in my hands.
22. My illness has taught me: to slow down and not to take anything or anyone for granted.
23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: people telling me they heard about this new arthritis cure or secret remedy! I've heard and seen them all, and no they won't cure me.
24. But I love it when people: tell me they heard about this new arthritis cure or secret remedy because I know that they care.
25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: by Audrey Hepburn- "The most important thing is to enjoy your life. To be happy. That's all that matters"
26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: that its not a death sentence, its your life and your health, take control and understand it. It is life changing, but not for the worst. It will all be ok.
27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: the way it changes your view on everything.
28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: made me a cup of tea. A cup of tea fixes everything.
29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: I don't want to be invisible.
30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: good.

Find out more about National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week and the 5-day free virtual conference with 20 speakers Sept 14-18, 2009 at www.invisibleillness.com

No comments:

Post a Comment