Wednesday, November 30, 2011

New shopping Motto

I am always on the lookout for items for my home. I love decorating, by purchasing things, as well as creating things myself.

I cannot wait until I get to design my own home and fit it with all the possessions I have acquired over the years, but I read something a few days ago that made me think about my purchases.

Someone made a comment on a pintrest post (yes, I will admit it, I may have a slight pintrest obsession) that you should only have posessions in your home that are useful or that you find beautiful.

I tend to buy things because I like them, not because I truly need them. As I have not been working much of late, thus have had less expendable income, I tend to have this saying ring in my ears when out shopping/browsing.

But why is retail therapy so satisfying? I find if I am in bad mood, sad or irritated, that if I go off on my own and wander the shops for a while- Op shop or other shops, and finding something to purchase lifts my mood.

Not food shopping- what I gravitate towards of late is homewares, books or creative goodies, with clothing usually coming up last.

If I am in the mood to cook, or am craving something specific, food shopping can help, but it is usually the material possessions that give that sense of relief from what I had been stressing over, or the feeling of happiness.

It is so odd. And I know of many a girl who will do the same thing. I do wonder what it is that makes buying something so gratifying?

But suffice to say, after reading the quote about purchasing only useful or beautiful things I have already altered my habits, although creating a use for something could be a long term effect of this concept.....

Image found here


Do impulse buy for the sake of it?
What are your shopping habits?
Will you take on my newly acquired shopping motto?

1 comment:

  1. supeeer cute post!!!!stunning pics!!!!
    IF U WANT TO VISIT MY BLOG STREET CHIC http://chicstreetchoc.blogspot.com/
    U CAN ALSO FIND ME ON FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/pages/Street-Chic/126609910754628

    ReplyDelete