Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A cup of tea and....Sago?

Yes, that's right I said Sago!
Of late, the mister has been requesting my pancakes for dessert claiming I make the best pancakes. Gluten free pancakes aren't quite the same, and without ice cream, they aren't that great either. So I whip him up some regular pancakes full of gluten and coated in deliciously delectable dairy, but settle for a cup of tea for myself. I made some Sago a while ago with my mother-in-law to be (MILTB), so when I saw a box of Sago on the supermarket shelf I had to grab some and give it a go.
For those of you who have never heard of Sago, it is starch made into little balls. On the box it states that "Sago is a starch typically extracted from the pith of Sago palm stems. It can also be produced from tapioca, potato, sweet potato and maize starch."
As my ingredients list says "Sago or tapioca" I'm not sure what mine actually is, but its yummy!
The Sago I made with the MILTB was with coconut milk, and considering there was a coconut recipe on the box, I decided to forgo trying to supplement the milk in the traditional recipe for lactose free milk as that doesn't always work for me, plus...I love coconut!
You just soak the Sago in the coconut milk and some water for an hour, then bring it to the boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10-15 mins.
Stir in a little caster sugar, pop in little bowls and chuck in the fridge for 10-15 mins. The recipe on the box had a passionfruit and pineapple sauce but in the absence of these, I drizzled some honey over, and wallah, gluten free, dairy free dessert! It is quite gelatenous and the little Sago balls don't have a lot if flavour but with the coconut and syrup, the texture and taste was lovely!
It was too late for the mister to have any as I started it pretty late and he was in bed by the time it was done, but even if he doesn't like it then its pancakes for him and all the more for me! I don't think he will argue!

What do you think of Sago?
Have you had it before?
If not, would you try it?


1 comment:

  1. That sounds yummy! Can we try them next time I'm up??

    ReplyDelete